The history of Klosterholte consists of the history of five farming communities, namely Klosterholte, Haverbeck, Honigfort, Gelshof and Gelsbruch. Until the twentieth century the mayors' official seals carried the imprint "Klosterholte-Haverbeck". In the eleventh century Haverbeck kept Corvey's cattle in the convent.
Later the Schuette family received the feud of Haverbeck and donated it, with the consent of Corvey's abbot, to the Knights Hospitallers in 1378. They instructed Haverbeck's then administrator, Ludolf von Langen, to sell the estate to the city of Meppen. Presumably, this deal also included the sale of Klosterholte. Diepenbrock assumes that the Knights Hospitallers received the properties as a donation of the Holte family before 1311.
The farming community of Honigfort - former Honnigfort - was mentioned in the fifteenth century with "Feldhausen". The owner at the time, Johan Bruneforth, handed down Feldhaus, his property, which was located close to Haverbeck in the farming community Lotten, to the community of Haseluenne. The parish, however, lost the estate in the sixteenth or seventeenth century. Bernhard Honnigfort, whose wife belonged to the Gels family, was mentioned as the owner of the property in 1749. In those days 23 people lived on the estate.
Gelshof was formerly called Gelshus and belonged to the von dem Campe family from Noedike around 1400. They sold it to Steven von Heede in 1404. After that the estate was owned by Otto von dem Ryne and Conrad von Holthausen, who sold it to the city of Meppen on January 6, 1438. On May 15, 1619, Berndt Gelss and his wife Anna received permission from the city of Meppen to construct a house. Since the middle of the nineteenth century Gelss had been the only heir in Klosterholte. Otto von der Ryne is supposed to have been the last person owning both Gelshof and Gelsbruch. He sold Gelshof to the city of Meppen and Gelsbruch to Gerlach Pyl, who then sold it to the city of Haseluenne in 1488.
In 1570 the city established a settlement in Gelsbruch.
A battle between Dodo von Inn and Knyphausen's army and the Royal Troupes took place in the sandy hills next to the river Hase in Haverbeck. Dodo's army fought with 1000 cavaliers and a 300-men strong infantry from Sweden in the Thirty Years' War, and the Royal Troupes were based in Haseluenne. During this battle 400 soldiers of the Royal Troupes died and 500 were captured.
After the Thirty Years' War religious denomination was unclear. Therefore, the priest conducted a survey among the people attending mass at Easter. Out of 18 families who lived in Klosterholte-Haverbeck, 54 people attended Easter mass in 1652. While Klosterholte-Haverbeck belonged to the parish Bokeloh, Bawinkel was ruled by other lords and was practically considered to be foreign. Due to the government of the Dutch Royal Dynasty Oranien inhabitants of Bawinkel had to celebrate mass in a "foreign country" as of 1674. They held their services in the farming community of Gelshof in the provisional church of Mr. Knueven, who worked on today's Brinker estate. Only in 1717 did the Prussian king allow the Catholics in Bawinkel to celebrate mass in their own parish church again. Klosterholte's inhabitants still had to walk 2.5 hrs to the church in Bokeloh. Therefore, the parish assembly instructed the then abbot Johann Gelss to ask the bishop to integrate Klosterholte Haverbeck into the parish of Bawinkel. However, this did not happen until 1902.
- Next >>