Leaving Haseluenne in the direction of Soegel, after five kilometres you will reach the village of Huelsen, which is surrounded by meadows and forests. It seems that this region was also populated very early, as an amber chain, probably dating back to the Bronze Age, was found at the old Huelsener Lane in 1932.

The name of the village comes from Hulsidon/Hulsedon, where "don" stands for dune. Later Hulsedon changed to Huelsten/Huelsen.
Historic documents mention Hulsedon as early as the year 1000.
During the Thirty Years' War Haseluenne and its surroundings suffered badly. Though there were no major battles in the area, troops were positioned here and brought misery and suffering. According to Geppert/Simme in several villages impoverished farmers sang dirges in their destroyed houses. "Wichmann from Huelsen, his wife, child and servants all died of Black Death."
52 persons lived in the farming community in 1652, whereof 18 were under 14 years old. In 1749 Huelsen consisted of 18 families, five of them were sole heirs and 13 farm labourers. In 1807 Huelsen belonged to the parish of Haseluenne and had 90 inhabitants. The population and buildings register of the parish Haseluenne documents 25 residential buildings and families with 111 inhabitants for the year 1858, and 23 houses and families with 104 inhabitants for the year 1861.
In 1852 a law was passed which enabled farmers to exempt themselves from paying the annual tributes. The inhabitants of Haseluenne and its surrounding villages, for example, had to pay the gatekeepers. In 1854 they could avoid these regular expenses by paying a certain fee once.
Some of the inhabitants of Huelsen emigrated to the United States: in 1839 and 1845 six persons per year and in 1923 one.
Huelsen was also affected by the World Wars. After attacks on Haseluenne, inhabitants fled to Huelsen. These refugees were attacked in the village by low-flying planes; houses were destroyed, but luckily people did not die.


Old School in Huelsen

According to the Huelsen school register, a committee decided in 1906 to fix the teacher's basic salary at 1100 German Marks from April 1, 1906. This was agreed although the county had high debts. In 1924 the construction of an official residence for the teacher was planned in order to provide continuity. On March 1, 1927 the teacher moved in and paid a monthly rent of 250 Reichsmark. The county was left with liabilities of 4000 Reichsmark, which was financed by means of a bank loan. Regarding this topic it is interesting to have a closer look at the contributions of the inhabitants: The house was built next to the school on the property of the family Ipe. It had a size of 25 are. Mr Ipe handed over the land voluntarily and received 2/3 of the 25 are back from Mr Poettker. The owners and heirs provided the building materials listed as follows: Temmen 12,000 stones, Poettker 8,000 stones, Pelle 7,000 stones, Ipe 3,000 stones, Wiegmann 2,000 stones, Wilken 1,500 stones, Gels 1,000 stones, Robben 1,000 stones and Bruemmer 500 stones. The four owners of Westerlohmuehlen had to provide 14,000 stones. The remaining building materials were provided by the not mentioned "Spannbesitzer" (owners of a cart with draft animal). All households were responsible for the construction of the building.
Today Huelsen does not have its own school. Children spend their first two school years in Westerloh and year three and four in Flechum. From year five on they attend schools in Haseluenne.
Initially, shooting was performed in Huelsen just for a short time. In 1925 the annual shooting match was celebrated together with Westerloh. However, this harmony ended in 1927. From that year on Huelsen celebrates its famous summer festival on its own. The shooting match has been held together with Westerloh again since 1990.
Furthermore, Huelsen has huge sports grounds and plays football in the category "Emsland Mitte" under the name "Spielvereinigung Huelsen/Westerloh".


Huelsen has remained a farming community to this day. There are some new houses, and currently a small residential area is being built. Population figures developed as shown in the following table:

1900:
119 inhabitants

1925:
148 inhabitants

1939:
153 inhabitants

1955:
157 inhabitants

1965:
163 inhabitants

1972:
173 inhabitants

1997:
146 inhabitants

 2001:
148 inhabitants

In the meeting of the communal council on July 12, 1971 it was unanimously agreed that Huelsen would become a part of the city Haseluenne as of January 1, 1972. Huelsen's current mayor is Hubert Litzen.

Veranstaltungskalender

Veranstaltungskalender

calendar

 

 

Stadt Haselünne | Rathausplatz 1 | 49740 Haselünne | Tel.: 05961/509-0 | EMail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Öffnungszeiten der Verwaltung

2015 by HoGa Webdesign
Go to top