Hamm is the smallest village in the area. It is located 3 km in the southwest of Haseluenne amidst a beautiful landscape and has a long and interesting history. It was already populated in primitive times. Five grave mounts from the Bronze Age still exist at the border between Haseluenne and Hamm Lienkolk. Furthermore, the "Dodenkamp" in Hamm was an ancient burial ground.
Rudolf vom Bruch states in his publication "Die Rittersitze des Emslandes" (residences of knights in the Ems-area) that a document from August 13, 1308 proves that the family of Haseluenne's Burgmann Requin von Hamm belonged to the village's first settlers. Most probably, also Bruno von Hamme from Osnabrueck, who was mentioned from 1271 - 1288, belonged to this family. As early as in 1131 Otto de Hamme is mentioned as witness in a purchasing contract signed under the presence of Tecklenburg's reeve in Cloppenburg.
Originally the estate Hamm was a Tecklenburger feud; after the peace agreement from 1400 it was passed over to Muenster's bishops. The genealogy of family Hamm looks like this: 1401 Bernd von Hamme owned the estate. He died around 1443 and passed it down to his daughter who was married to Heinrich von Ryne. Family Ryne, whose second name is von Hamme, belonged to Haseluenne's Burgleuten. 1597 Cunigund von Ryne inherited the estate and married Hermann von Hoevel. The couple changed their estate in Hamm with a property in Nortmoor in East Frisia and moved there in 1602.
Johann von Huentel became the new owner of Hamm's estate. He was the mayor of Haseluenne in 1575 and later served the Earl of East Frisia. From 1603 to 1605 he was Haseluenne's mayor again and renovated estate Hamm. The estate remained family property and was handed down to Katharina Gertrud Franziska von Huentel who was married to Johann Adolf von der Decken since 1783. This couple could neither maintain this estate nor the estate Decken Lethe near Vechta and had to sell both in 1818. The manor house in Hamm discontinued in 1812 and a new residential house was built. This building still existed a few years ago. Wilhelm Otto von der Decken, Johann Adolf's brother lived there. Johann Adolf's son Wilhelm Otto inherited the estate in 1885 and leased it.
In the meantime, the feud passed over to the duke of Arenberg. Friedrich Wilhelm Otto denied this feud in a trial but finally had to accept it in 1845. The duke of Arenberg was entitled to several rights in the kingdom Hanover, which he frequently enforced legally. Under Friedrich Wilhelm Otto the four heirs of the estate Hamm Blanke, Kruse, Cordes and Tensing paid a ransom of 9000 German Talers in 1938. As a result they no longer had to pay their annual tributes and were economically independent.
- Next >>