"Amidst heathland, between Gaelen and Schleper, lays in Kirchspiel Bokeloh the village Doergen, which is often forgotten due to its remote location. However, its history starts as early as we know particulars about the Ems-area."
This is the beginning of an essay published in the magazine "Mein Emsland" (My Emsland) in 1937. With its 139 inhabitants it is one of the smallest villages belonging to Haseluenne.
The village is one of the oldest proven settlements. Already in 854 the name Deringon appears. Lagemann writes in the above-cited essay that a document dating shortly before 1000 mentions Great and Little Doergen. The name Doergen stems from the word derigun, meaning black and brown peaty earth of mouldered marsh plants that grow in brackish water. Abels, who summarized the meanings of the villages' names in the Emsland, states that derigon could mean that the place was owned by the "derig". Around 1160 the village was called Doringem.
Doergen consists of Great Doergen, Little Doergen, Doergener Field and a part of the "Schleper". Doergen's farms have a long history. Though the village was located aside of the military road it did not stay unaffected by history. In 1795 when the allies against the French placed troupes at the rivers Ems and Hase in order to keep the French from crossing the Ems, Doergen suffered much. In remembrance of the liberty wars following later, a memorial was built on December 18, 1913. This memorial still exists today. It is made of foundlings and forms a pyramid. It is located aside of the military road at the borderline to Bokeloh.
Doergen belongs to the catholic congregation in Bokeloh and is strongly connected to its history. Children living in Great Doergen went to school in Bokeloh while children from Little Doergen were taught in Lohe. Already in 1909 the two places thought about creating a joint schoolhouse. After the population figure had increased due to the development of the residential area Doergener Field, Doergen built a catholic school with just one class in 1932 (begin of construction: 1931, inauguration on June 9, 1932, name: "Heideschulde St. Wendelin").
The "Doergener Field" was settled in the 1920th. In line with the development of the Emsland many new settlements were founded. The chronicle of the school in Lohe documents the following: "on May 16, 1922 the Doergener Field located in the north of the street Haseluenne/Meppen was expropriated. It covers an area of 175 hectares. Complaints against this compulsory purchase were rejected." The area belonged to heirs from Lohe. Like in other cases the State bought heathland in order to create settlements. The population did not always appreciate these purchases.
The Doergener Moor is since 1937 one of the oldest nature reserves in the Ems-area. Even in prehistoric times people lived in this place which is proven by prehistoric findings.
During the wars it was extremely difficult to maintain school education. In 1942/43 a teacher taught Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in Doergen and Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays in Lohe.
On May 3, 1950 a restored house of the estate "Wulf" became a holiday resort for the police of Osnabrueck. Later it became a youth hostel called "Dachsbau".
At Easter 1961 the schools in Doergen and Lohe were united and a new schoolhouse was planned between the two villages. However, it was rebuilt and due to decreasing numbers of students the school was closed on April 23, 1966. Students in their second, fifth and sixth year continued their education in Lohe and students in their seventh and eighth year went to Bokeloh.
Today Doergen has 139 inhabitants. The mayor is called Hienz Gels. The active shooting club Schleper includes Doergen, Huden, Lahre and Lohe. Shooting matches take place in the youth centre in Schleper. Doergen belongs to the sports club Concordia Schleper whose sports fields are located in Lahre.